We have quickly learnt that you can never be sure what you’ll uncover in an old property.
Our bathroom is a prime example of this, we never expected that it could get weirder than this…
In all fairness I started to grow quite fond of these tiles, if it wasn’t for the position of the bath preventing us from having a shower screen I may have even kept some of them. However, they had to go so my OH had fun ripping the whole room apart.
As he started to remove tiles he found some more tiles and some
lovely interesting wallpaper with fish on. Okay, so it’s not that weird to find tiles behind tiles… but then he found a window!
It has been expertly filled with polystyrene (what more could you ask for) and rendered over on the outside of the house.
Our new bathroom has arrived and the first fix starts on Monday. We should probably make a decision on the tiles soon…
This is the first house we have been able to call our own, so I can’t wait to put our stamp on it and get everything just right.
As we have had a few more outlays than we were expecting, we’ve decided to focus on the bathroom, master bedroom and downstairs reception rooms for now.
Although I’d heard of Pintrest before, I’ve never actually used it until now. It’s a fantastic place to store your ideas and draw inspiration from other people. You can see my Pintrest profile here. I’m currently using it to store my Interior design and wedding ideas.
First on the hit list is the Master bedroom. To save some money we’ve decided to use lining paper rather than having the room re-plastered. Luckily, my Mum and Aunt have offered to come and lend a hand with this as I wouldn’t know where to start!
I bought some gorgeous Josette wallpaper from Laura Ashley at the weekend and ordered some ‘Dove tail grey’ paint to match. I was slightly concerned that the room would be too dark with the grey paint so we are going to put in a picture rail and paint white above as they have done here:
I was originally planning to have the wallpaper in each alcove rather than on the chimney breast, but it looks so lovely here I’m not sure anymore. Unfortunately we have a radiator rather than a nice fireplace which wouldn’t have quite the same effect.
As well as various pieces of furniture, we have also inherited some 1930’s Art Deco mirrors. I saw this pic on simplythenest.com the other day. I love how the use of different mirrors adds light and interest to the room!
M isn’t too sure about it so we’ll have to see how it looks. Maybe one for the guest bedroom if not!
The plastering has now begun in our two reception rooms downstairs. It’s great to see the Artex on the ceilings disappearing and the room is already starting to feel more modern.
Before (There are those lovely brown velvet sofas I mentioned)…
Luckily we weren’t planning to keep the carpets! I’ll upload an after photo soon 🙂
As we’re buying our house from a relative, we’ve inherited a few pieces of furniture. Most of these (brown velvet sofas being a prime example) have had to go, but there are a couple of things we’ve decided to keep.
I originally had this bureau for sale on Ebay as I wasn’t really keen on the look of it:
However, when I took pictures with the doors open I started to realise what an interesting and unusual piece it is.
I therefore decided to add it to my list of upcycle projects. I spoke to Jan who owns Beti Biggs in Cardiff (If you live nearby – go there!) and she has suggested painting the outside with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and then adding some stencils to break up the large surface area. I haven’t decided on colours or a stencil pattern yet but I’ll post a pic when it’s done.
2014 has already been a very busy and exciting year for me, so I thought now would be the perfect time to start blogging again!
We are in the process of buying our first house which has quickly turned into our first renovation project. Originally everything seemed very straight forward, the decor needed updating but everything else was sound, or so we thought! Upon showing the house to an electrician friend, we discovered that a total rewire and new gas pipes were needed.
When we started taking down wallpaper we found that the walls and ceilings are covered in black mortar. For those who have never seen black mortar, it is a black plaster which is very messy to remove. The result of this discovery… plastering added to the list.
Despite all these hiccups, I’m very excited about owning our first home. I just want it to be finished so we can move in!