Kitchen design issues

The new space is really starting to take shape now. Yesterday the plasterboard went up so the plastering can begin today.

I am really pleased with the way the space has turned out. There are one or two things we may have changed about the layout with hindsight but I think that what we have will work really well for us.

We did have a slight set back due to some last minute changes we made to our IKEA kitchen when we went to buy it.

IKEA’s 3D kitchen planner is a brilliant tool and the kitchen planning staff at IKEA stores are wonderful. They know exactly what works and were really honest about the plans we had.

The only setback with the design software is that it limits you to a few basic room shapes . As we were designing an L shape kitchen the kitchen planner created a rectangular room. This was fine and allowed us to get a good sense of how the kitchen would look. When we went back to order the kitchen, however, we forgot to mention that we had some pretty precise measurements to stick to on the shorter wall as it opens into a doorway (circled on the plan below). He suggested that if we removed the 20cm condiment cupboard we could swap the corner unit to a rotating one which would be much better use of the space. Unfortunately he didn’t mention that this would add 5cm to the length of the kitchen.

kitchen doorway

He suggested that we removed the 20cm condiment cupboard to make room for their rotating corner unit which would be much better use of the space. Unfortunately he didn’t mention that this would add 5cm to the length of the kitchen.  As a result, our builder had to move the doorway 5cm out to lengthen the wall space.

They are planning to start assembling the kitchen tomorrow and I can’t wait to see how it looks!

Here are some photos of the progress yesterday:

20150203_212238

The stud wall between our new kitchen and utility has been built, the new smaller window has been boxed in and plasterboard is up.

20150203_212300

The picture above shows the biggest compromise we have had to make with the builders so far. We really wanted to knock out the old chimney breast to square off the kitchen and have somewhere to put our much loved welsh dresser. When they took a closer look it became apparent that the job would delay the project and cost an extra chunk that we just don’t have. Rather than blocking the chimney back up they agreed to square it off so we will have a nice feature to store our wine in. I am certainly going to make use of it!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s